Q. I have severe tooth pain with large tooth cavity. Please suggest solution.

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 04, 2020

I have a severe toothache that prevents me from sleeping and eating, and there is a big hole in my teeth. I am currently using Tylenol.

#

Thanks for describing your dental pain. It clearly indicates that the tooth is visibly decayed and gone deeper to involve the nerves and blood vessels of that particular tooth. Ideally, there will be sensitivity if the first two layers of the tooth are affected (enamel and dentin). If the third layer (pulp) is involved and further the bugs percolate inside the length of the teeth, then the symptoms you feel would be there.

Now the situation looks like you must visit a nearby dentist for either root canal treatment or extraction depending on your preference. The steps involved would be an x-ray first to check the shape of the roots of the tooth (two or three roots if it is a molar tooth). You sound like an emergency, please visit the hospital or ring the dental practices who attend patients with an emergency during the COVID-19 times. Also, adding that pain killers will not help you come out of this for not more than three hours. I highly recommend you to visit the dentist closely.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Is it okay to get tooth filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of tablets?

Query: Hello doctor, Is it okay to get a tooth cavity filled without getting it cleaned post-five-day prescription of two tablets? Does this have consequences?  Read Full »

I have toothache after the tooth filling chipped off. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I flossed by a tooth where a filling almost came out and my tooth and gum have been hurting all night. Also have a tooth that is by this molar that fell or chipped out. I do not know if it is an abscess or an exposed nerve in my molar that is right behind it. Took Tylenol 2 every 6 ho...  Read Full »

Can root canal treatment help reduce swelling around infected teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have placed caps in my two teeth. Now, I got swelling around the teeth. X-ray has been taken. The doctor told me that there is some infection in the teeth, so it needs a root canal to be done. I do not have any pain in the teeth. I have only swelling in the teeth. Please suggest what to...  Read Full »