Q. I have loose, bleeding, and smelly gums in my lower central incisor region. Please help.

Dr. Nisha Ashokkumar Agrawal

The gum in front of my central incisors is loose. Unlike the gums of the other area, it can separate from the teeth if I touch it with a brush. After my braces, the central incisors of my lower jaw keep bleeding and is very smelly. My orthodontist told me that I have bleeding gums. The food particles tend to gather in front of those two teeth quickly. My orthodontist had advised me to massage the gum, use mouth wash and brush twice daily to keep the area clean. Nothing seems to work. The area is very smelly and loose. It bleeds. What can I do?

#

I read your query, and I am concerned about the same. As per your complaints and the picture you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you need professional cleaning by the dentist called scaling. After scaling and removing the irritants, local application of a prescribed gel will work, or you can use any mouthwash containing 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate. The smell and loose gum will both disappear after the treatment. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. I have done scaling, but it has not helped as it gets back after some days. So I will start with the mouthwash. Also, can you please tell me the name of the gel so that I can buy it?

#

Proper brushing in that particular area will help you. You can watch brushing videos on the internet. You can use Hexigel ointment (Chlorhexidine Gluconate) to massage the specific region thrice a day.

|