Q. Can I wear fixed retainer during scaling and root planing treatment?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Aug 26, 2016

I have just been told that I have gum disease and 3 mm to 6 mm pockets. And, my wisdom teeth have 8 mm pocket. I have braces on now and I am due to have them off next month. I need to get scaling and root planing treatment to treat my gum problems. Can I still wear a fixed retainer? I really do not want my teeth to shift after all this time with my brace. Please suggest.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• Yes, you can wear your fixed retainer without any problem. Also, you have to make sure that you use your removable retainer also for the next two to three years without any break.
  • When you have periodontal problems, there is a high chance of spaces opening up between teeth and so retainers are a must.
  • It will be better to wait to get your braces removed the next month and then plan periodontal treatment. Usually, after braces for one to two years, some periodontal problem does occur.

For further doubts consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

After getting my teeth cleaned, why do I still have inflammation?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a teeth cleaning done, but the inflammation is still there. The dentist said that I need to get treated for a receding gum line through surgery. She said it was due to brushing hard and asked me to switch to a soft bristle toothbrush and sensodyne toothpaste. I am also awaiting ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Use warm saline gargling daily at least 2 or 3 times, for two weeks. This will help in reducing the inflammation and help in preventing further recession of gum line. Also if you can get Betadine gargle for rinsing then it would be much better, this would be of grea...  Read Full

Ask a Periodontist Now