Q. Can I wear fixed retainer during scaling and root planing treatment?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

I have just been told that I have gum disease and 3 mm to 6 mm pockets. And, my wisdom teeth have 8 mm pocket. I have braces on now and I am due to have them off next month. I need to get scaling and root planing treatment to treat my gum problems. Can I still wear a fixed retainer? I really do not want my teeth to shift after all this time with my brace. Please suggest.

#

• Yes, you can wear your fixed retainer without any problem. Also, you have to make sure that you use your removable retainer also for the next two to three years without any break.
  • When you have periodontal problems, there is a high chance of spaces opening up between teeth and so retainers are a must.
  • It will be better to wait to get your braces removed the next month and then plan periodontal treatment. Usually, after braces for one to two years, some periodontal problem does occur.

For further doubts consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

|