Q. What to do for painful loose gum flap between incisors?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

I have a small loose gum flap between my top Incisor teeth. It has been there for a few months now. I thought it would go away in time, but it is still there. When I accidentally bite on it while eating it hurts. The only medication I have taken so far is vitamin C chewable tablets, but I do not think that will fix it. What can I do about this problem?

#

I have read through your complaint and the relevant details. The loose gummy flap should be caused by any trauma and in my opinion, it is getting injured every time you bite by the lower front teeth. That could be the reason for not healing. Instead of plain Vitamin C, I advise you to take multivitamin tablets available in the store as it helps in better healing.

Also, I advise you to apply ointment Dentogel 20 mg thrice daily on the sore area. Do not rinse it off with water immediately, but leave it in place for 15 minutes at least. Since you said it has been there for four months, I reckon you visit the dentist straight to check if there is any particular sharp tooth that hurts that part of your gums. If that is the case, the sharp portion of the tooth causing injury could be easily smoothened and polished in two minutes.

If it is possible, you could also send me a picture attached with the complaint for better diagnosis.

| 

Is it safe to take Ovares Plus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am trying to conceive for the last four months. I have consulted my gynecologist and she found that I am having PCOS. She suggested me to take Ovares plus. Is it fine to take?  Read Full »

How to treat my front tooth that is loose and crooked?

Query: Hi doctor, My front tooth is going to fall out. It is very crooked and loose for about four to five years. Then, I started to have anxiety, and I am grinding my teeth bad. It got looser and looser for the past couple of years. Now, I have deep, sharp pains in my gums on that side. It hurts me a lot...  Read Full »

Why do I have gum pain after temporary crown placement?

Query: Hi doctor, I am looking for a little advice since I cannot be seen until tomorrow by my dentist. I recently had a root canal on my bottom left tooth (last one at the back in the photo). A few weeks later, I got a temporary crown placed over it. The area beyond the tooth is inflamed and hurts badly. ...  Read Full »