Q. How to prevent a gum pain from becoming an abscess?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I am experiencing gum pain on a back molar. I am trying to catch it before it becomes an abscess. Please help.

I am currently on Levothyroxine.

#

I am sorry for the pain you are bearing. Though I needed more details and a photograph, what type of pain is it? Is it only around the gums or in the tooth also? If it is only in the gums means there is some periodontal problem maybe some food has got stuck up there. Do you remember eating any such thing recently, where you felt a sudden pressure on it or from the sides?

Under the prevailing situation you cannot go for a scaling even but kindly go for it as soon as possible. For now, I would suggest you to do a salt warm water rinse four to five times a day and gentle finger massage. You can also apply clove oil if you have.

If pain is not bearable you can go for a pain killer Paracetamol or Ibuprofen. As you have not mentioned whether there is a cavity or not I cannot prescribe you antibiotics.

Do revert back for more queries.

There is a pain when I bite and I do not feel there is something in my gum. I have used the waterpik and brushed back there thoroughly.

#

Though mear brushing does not remove anything if stuck in the periodontal area yet if you say. I am prescribing you medicine it should help you subside the pain temporarily.

But an x-ray will tell what is the actual problem. For the permanent solution, make sure to get an x-ray done as soon as the Corona effect gets normal in your area.

Take these for now. Amoxicillin clavulanate 500 mg thrice daily for five days, Paracetamol 500 mg SOS thrice daily only until the pain is there. Do complete the course of Amoxicillin.

Do revert back after completing the medications.

|