Q. Can thyroid medicines like Eltroxin cause hair loss?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

My 65-year-old wife has underwent balloon mitral valvuloplasty five years ago. And she is currently taking Acitrom, Lanoxin for her heart health and tablet Eltroxin for her thyroid issues. Recently she is suffering from hair fall and general health deterioration.

Kindly help.

#

I read her thyroid report, and it says significantly suppressed levels of TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), but you have not mentioned the values for T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine). I am sure that they will be on the higher side. Though it is difficult for me to comment much without knowing the complete medical history of your wife, I can anticipate what may go wrong in such situations.

It looks like her hair fall is related to high thyroid hormone levels, which we call hyperthyroidism. This can cause hair loss and also increased heart rate. As she has undergone BMV (bilateral mitral valvotomy), her heart is feeling the trouble.

I would suggest you visit your cardiologist to check the medications for her cardiac issues.

Take care.

|