Q. My hair fall increased after starting my workout. Kindly help.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 24, 2020

I have started workout for the past five days for about 20 minutes and noticed that my hair fall has increased. Kindly suggest how often I should wash my hair and some necessary products for my better hair growth.

#

From your history, I understand that hair fall is your concern, which is a very common problem these days, and there is no need to be worried.

Regarding your hair fall history, I needed to know a few things related to better guidance.

How many hairs fall out daily approximately? Are there any bald patches? Do you have any recent infection or fever episodes? Do you face any hormonal problems? Any new hair products application, if any? Do you have relevant family history or history of thyroid disease, anemia, vitamin D deficiency, or any other blood diseases?

Let me assure you that there is no relevant correlation between hair fall and exercise. And a hair fall of approximately 100 hairs daily is typical for an individual. Stress is one of the main contributing factors for hair loss, and it is inevitable during this lockdown and COVID-19 times. So you could just be having stress-related temporary hair loss.

You can do some simple measures like

1. Daily oiling your hair with a good massage in the lying down position for a minimum of 15 minutes.

2. Application of shampoos free of sulfate.

3. Taking Vitamin B12 and D supplements.

If you can revert with the answers to my queries related to your history, I will guide you better with this and the correct dosage of vitamin D or any other medications you should be taking.

Hypothyroidism. Anemia. Vitamin B12 deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency. Alopecia.

Thyroid levels. Vitamin B12 levels. Vitamin D levels. Complete blood count.

Follow up with answers to the queries related to history of the complaint.

| 

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»