Q. Is it advisable to use Minoxidil to manage hairfall?

Dr. Payal Chauhan

I am 35 years old, male with no medical history. Over the past few years, I have started to lose my hair. I am not bald visibly, but have developed thinning of hair, especially in the middle area of my scalp. I have been using ayurvedic hair oils for the past free months, which has reduced hair fall visibly, but did not help to grow new hair. Do you recommend to use Minoxidil? If yes, which brand is effective and how to use it? Can I continue to use hairoil, during Minoxidil treatment? I also have very less facial hair. Is this medicine suitable to be used on face as well, to promote facial hair growth? I do not have any dandruff problems, but the hair is usually very dry. Awaiting your response.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

I understand your concern but there is no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to help better. I need to see the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest the appropriate treatment. Please send the picture of the affected area. Take care.

| 

Thank you. Please find the attached photos.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thanks for sharing the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have androgenetic alopecia, that is a type of genetic and hormonal hair disease. Yes Minoxidil will help. Infact it is the only approved medication for topical application along with a tablet known as Finasteride. Oil does not help. Use following medications: Tugaine (5%) lotion apply 1ml twice a day, tablet Finpecia 1 mg once a day. Tugaine 2 % can be used for facial hair growth as has been tried in few studies.The medicines takes time to work, at least 3 months and for complete results 10 to 12 months.

|