Q. I am having androgenetic alopecia. Can minoxidil 5 % used to treat it?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Oct 14, 2019

I have female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) for the past 25 years. Now I started Minoxidil 5 %, but there is no regrowth. Can this be reversed by combining Minoxidil and hair laser? Is there any cure for this type of hair loss? Please give suggestion.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Female pattern androgenetic alopecia is tough to improve. However, the regular use of Minoxidil does help to make it better. You have to use Minoxidil 5% 1 ml twice daily for at least three to six months to expect a response.

Hair growth is a slow process, and the initial hairs produced are fine vellus hairs, which cannot be appreciated with a naked eye. It will take at least three months to note an increase in hair density and six months to find a satisfactory response. Also, kindly rule out underlying hormonal etiology.

1) Thyroid profile.

2) FH (Follicle-stimulating harmone), LSH (Luteinizing harmone).

3) Serum free testing.

4) USG (ultrasound) pelvis.

5% Minoxidil 1 ml twice daily for at least three months.

I am just 22 and already going bald. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 22 year old male, height 5 feet and 5 inches and weight 66 kg. I first started experiencing hair fall a year ago, and after taking homeopathy treatment, there was a good improvement in a couple of months. I did not have any hair fall for eight to nine months. But, from the last ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hair fall you are experiencing might be androgenetic alopecia, and this is a genetic condition. This happens if your father or other family members are bald. Usually, the genetic baldness starts from the age of 20 to 25 and gradually progresses. A fall of up to 1...  Read Full

Can minoxidil use cause dark eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am using Minoxidil and noticing dark eyes and wrinkles. Is there a way to keep using Minoxidil but counter the side effects?  Read Full >>

Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Minoxidil has nothing to do with dark eye circles or wrinkles. 2. It can lead to dryness, a bit of headache, and facial bloating. 3. Apply it in the prescribed amount only. Not more than 1 ml at a time and wash your hands afterwards. 4. Apply half a centimeter...  Read Full

How can I treat graying of hair and hair fall?

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing hair fall from the last 4 to 5 months. Also facing graying of hairs from last three years.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does this problem exist in your family? If yes it is androgenetic alopecia that is common in males and related to male hormones. Premature greying of hair is also genetic and as such there is no treatment for reversing of grey hair. However, you can take Biotin suppleme...  Read Full