Q. I am having androgenetic alopecia. Can minoxidil 5 % used to treat it?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I have female pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) for the past 25 years. Now I started Minoxidil 5 %, but there is no regrowth. Can this be reversed by combining Minoxidil and hair laser? Is there any cure for this type of hair loss? Please give suggestion.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Female pattern androgenetic alopecia is tough to improve. However, the regular use of Minoxidil does help to make it better. You have to use Minoxidil 5% 1 ml twice daily for at least three to six months to expect a response.

Hair growth is a slow process, and the initial hairs produced are fine vellus hairs, which cannot be appreciated with a naked eye. It will take at least three months to note an increase in hair density and six months to find a satisfactory response. Also, kindly rule out underlying hormonal etiology.

1) Thyroid profile.

2) FH (Follicle-stimulating harmone), LSH (Luteinizing harmone).

3) Serum free testing.

4) USG (ultrasound) pelvis.

5% Minoxidil 1 ml twice daily for at least three months.

|