Q. Is there any treatment for a black hairy tongue?

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
Published on Mar 04, 2017

A few weeks ago I noticed that my tongue had patchy green areas. However, it has now turned into more of a yellow color, more so in the back than the front. Brushing the tongue seems to remove the yellow, but then it comes back. I am very scared of the black hairy tongue, and I read that yellow precedes before the black and hairy part. I have attached a photo of my tongue. What can I do to remove and prevent this? Can the black hairy tongue be treated?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I understand your concern.

• As your tongue has turned yellow and black from green in the front part, it is a typical feature of a hairy tongue.
  • Clinically it looks like a hairy tongue, but get it confirmed through laboratory tests also. Consult an oral pathologist as early as possible for the confirmation, follow his or her guidance for the treatment.
  • Meanwhile, please try the following:
  1. Maintain tongue hygiene by brushing it twice daily for two minutes with a toothbrush or a tongue scraper by making gentle movements over the affected area.
  2. Stop all habits like smoking, tobacco, etc., if any.
  3. Gargle after every meal.

For further queries consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

What is the treatment for chronic sinus infection due to weather?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic sinus infection because of it I will face problem whole winter. What treatment should I take to get relief from cold in these winter months? Shall I make a choice for vaccination?  Read Full >>

Dr. Ana Karen Pulido
Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to infectious disease guidelines, all persons aged 6 months and older are recommended for annual vaccination. For your symptoms treatment, here are the recommendations. Smoking cessation, irrigating the nasal cavities with saline reduces postnasal drainage, re...  Read Full

I have been suffering from throat pain, headache, and weakness, sickness since last 2 days.

Query: Dear Doctor, I have been suffering from throat pain, headache, weakness and sickness since last 2 days. Age-21 years/ female. Give me advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sini P

Answer: Hi,From your query, I understood that you have simple viral infection causing the Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI). So you have to take tablet Febrex plus three times in a day for 3 days. Use saline gargling for throat pain. Use steam inhalation if there is any nasal block. Better to take ...  Read Full

What is the treatment for COPD?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced. COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief. Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease. P...  Read Full