Q. Is there any treatment for a black hairy tongue?

Answered by Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hairy Tongue or Saline Gargling? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

A few weeks ago I noticed that my tongue had patchy green areas. However, it has now turned into more of a yellow color, more so in the back than the front. Brushing the tongue seems to remove the yellow, but then it comes back. I am very scared of the black hairy tongue, and I read that yellow precedes before the black and hairy part. I have attached a photo of my tongue. What can I do to remove and prevent this? Can the black hairy tongue be treated?