Q. How to prevent the recurrence of PUNLMP?

Dr. Raja Ramesh
This is a premium question & answer published on May 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had PUNLMP a year ago. I consulted a physician, and he did a TURBT. Now, I just have my follow up cystoscopy every three months. I am 25 years old. I am afraid of what to do and what to avoid. I have never smoked. But yes, I have been with smokers. I just wanted to know what would my life like and how to prevent recurrence. What should I do that it never happens again? What are my chances that I can complete an average human life age?

#

• PUNLMP (papillary urothelial neoplasm of low malignant potential) belongs to a very benign, non-life threatening spectrum of urological cancers.
  • TURBT (transurethral resection of bladder tumor) is the correct treatment. Follow-up is required with cystoscopy and urine cytology. Followup intensive for first two years and after that, less intensive follow-up is needed for at least five years.
  • If any recurrence occurs, we have to restart monitoring plan from zero again.
  • Since it is not life threatening, your longevity will not be affected.
  • The only way to prevent is to avoid exposure to tobacco smoke (active or passive), drink plenty of water and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|