Q. What does my MRI report for hamstring pain indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

I have had high hamstring pain a few years ago, now it is back again. More pronounced on my right side though the left is now starting to match the right. I am really active so I want someone to look at my MRI and be honest (did I tear or strain my hamstring) about if I have to stop my active lifestyle if it needs to heal.

#

You have findings suggestive of a hamstring injury involving the left side hamstring muscles from the level of the isccial tuberosity attachment (in the pelvis area) and continuing to the biceps femoris proximal tendon and in to the upper and mid thigh areas and the myotendinous part along the posterior medial part of the thigh. I have sent few images, please check. The first image is the upper part of the left hamstring tendon (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The second image is in the left mid thigh area. There are minimal findings in the right ischial tuberosity area and otherwise the right side is showing signs of likely resolution. As you have MRI findings showing left hamstring injury, you do need to recover and avoid stressful physical activity to your left hamstrings. However the exact nature of active lifestyle is best commented upon after a detailed clinical evaluation.

Was it a tear or just a strain? Can you tell me which grade?

#

There is hamstring muscle strain injury. There is no disruption of fibres so we may not call it a tear. On MRI grading there is grade I injury.

|