Q. I have repeated itching sensation in my right thumb. Please help.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2021

I am a 59 year old female, I have itching sensation in my right thumb, and due to continuous scratching, the skin is slowly getting damaged. There is some infection, and then the skin heals on its own. This cycle is repeating itself from the past year. Please help.

#

• Have you applied any creams? Are you diabetic?
  • Please send images for better understanding.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thanks for your prompt response. I tried cleaning the area with betadine and applied ointment, and I can see a slight improvement. But, it is not helping entirely due to continuous scratching. The condition is getting worse now, but the itching sensation is not constant. It suddenly comes and disappears, and I have uploaded some images. I am not diabetic, but still, my sugar levels are slightly higher.

#

I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is hand eczema. I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Avoid contact with soap or any kind of detergent.
  2. Try applying Halovate F cream (combination of Halometasone and Fusidic acid)  or Momate F cream (combination of Fusidic acid and Mometasone), once daily for 15 days.
  3. Also, try applying Venusia max cream or Olesoft max cream, 2 to 3 times a day. The thumb should not be dry, so frequently apply moisturizer.
  • There is no need of betadine ointment or solution.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Why does it keep repeatedly occurring in the same thumb, and not in any other area? Is there any need of special tests?

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com.

• Usually, eczemas occur on the same site. To confirm this diagnosis, a skin biopsy can be done.
  • As only a single lesion is present, there is no need to do any skin test.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|