Q. Can I grow any longer by taking HGH?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Feb 21, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Can I grow any longer?

I am 16 years old. My parents' heights are about 5'5" and 5'0" and my sister is 5'1". I had my knee's and hand's X-ray and both of them are fused. Since then I have grown only an inch or two. I was 5'1" back then now I am like 5'3" or 5'4" in morning. I have been taking Vitamin D supplements along with Vitamin A, Zinc, and Magnesium. Doing yoga on regular basis and body weight exercises like push-ups, chin-ups, pull-ups, and dips. I have been sprinting and skipping rope and my diet is full of protein (junk food only on Sunday). I do not know how I stunted my growth. Maybe late night cravings with junk food and also bad sleeping habits might have contributed to my short stature.

I have heard men do not stop growing until the age of 21 or 25. When I compare my legs to my friends we have the same length, maybe an inch or two difference but they are like 5'10" or 5'11". I have hairs on my legs from a year an a half. I have little facial hair (not too much). My genitals are not fully grown but I have pubic hairs. I want to be at least 5'7" or 5'8". Since taking HGH will not affect my legs (growth plates ossified) but will it affect my spine? I feel like my torso is very short compared to my dad too. If I can get prescription for HGH, will taking it lengthen my spine or harden the long bones which will result in growth (2-3 inches)? I have been looking for answers online but I found none relating to spine growth from HGH. As far as I have seen in gigantism most of their height comes from their torso. If I take HGH will my spine grow like theirs too? Since I am only 16 and not fully matured. I do not want to do the leg lengthening surgery (will affect my athletic performance) and also I forgot to mention I have never got a growth spurt in my life. All my height growth has been gradual. When I looked at my friends after a long summer they shot up to 4 to 5 inches. Whereas I stayed the same. Please tell me if I can do anything regarding my height.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you would like to grow taller.

Well, your predicted height according to your parents' height is expected to be 5'5". Even if your X-ray shows that your bones have fused it is still possible for you to grow naturally taller until 21 years of age.

Human growth hormone does not work unless a person is actually deficient in it. And, no you cannot have a targeted growth by taking it. You might cause more harm to your self than good.

Your habits are good but you need to start doing more of cardiovascular exercises like cycling and playing sports like basketball which involves jumping and stretching more.

Every single person is different as to when they can achieve a growth spurt. Of prime importance is proper sleep as natural secretion of growth hormone occurs at night time.So, be positive and keep up the good work.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

If my growth plates are fused, where will the remaining height come from? Since you said I can be taller. Will taking HGH not boost those results?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, the X-ray cannot depict all the growth points and their fusion. Besides, you have both the endpoints on a long bone that can grow. There still takes a lot of growth in the vertebrae and long bones.

No, human growth hormone does not work that way. If a person is not deficient, the growth hormone receptors ignore the excess drug. So, no point.

HGH - The Human Growth Regulator

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the functions of the Human Growth Hormone Read Article

Dr. Vidhi Hareshbhai Talati
General Medicine Physician

HGH means Human Growth Hormone. It is also known as somatotropin or somatropin. It is made up of protein chains known as peptides. People mainly think of using this hormone for extra growth and try to become youthful, but is not realistic. Researches show that it is not useful for becoming youthful ...  Read Article

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »

What vitamin deficiency causes muscle twitching?

Query: Hi doctor, For about 10 days, I have muscle twitching in my calf, thighs and also in my eyes. I am worried about it. I got my blood test done. It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L. Can these deficiencies be the cause for having muscl...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now