Q. I was exposed to mouse poop. Am I affected by Hantavirus?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I was exposed to mouse poop. It was in my clothes, drawers and on the floor. The mouse was in my apartment. I swept it up. I was exposed to them for about three weeks. It has been 27 days since I have been around them, but today I am getting cough and scratchy throat. Does this sound like hantavirus?

#

• Hantavirus is mainly transmitted to people when you breathe in air contaminated with the virus especially when fresh rodent urine, droppings, saliva or nesting materials are stirred up; tiny droplets containing the virus get into the air.
  • Normal incubation period is five weeks.
  • Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome initially presents with flu like symptom and later muscle aches. So, your symptoms could be due to hantavirus infection.
  • But, do not worry. I would suggest you to consult a local doctor. Treatment consists of antivirals, antibiotics and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS).
  • I would also suggest you to follow this preventive measure. Rodent access needs to be controlled with traps.
  • Try to remove the rat excreta by gloves and not by brooms to avoid aerosol spread of the virus.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Which type of hepatitis B infection do I have?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently went for a checkup for hepatitis B. I did this because I had unprotected sex with someone about three months back. I never had any test before. The results came up positive. I have done further tests to see if the infection is chronic or acute.  Read Full »

Nausea and stomach pain after taking Panadol.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 27 years old, 50 kg, 162 cm. Just before sleeping at 11:30 AM, I took two Panadol advance pills and one Muscerol 3 pill altogether. I have not eaten for the last five hours earlier. Later that night, I woke up around 2 AM feeling nausea which lasted for a few minutes. S...  Read Full »