Q. Can someone with Hashimoto's disease plan for pregnancy?

Dr. Thiyagarajan. T

My free T4 levels are normal. TSH is 4.8 mU/L, and TBO antibodies are 613 IU/mL. Currently, I am not taking any thyroid medications. Also, I do not have symptoms of hypothyroidism. Three years back, my TSH levels were elevated and returned to normal after taking vitamin D. Can I try for pregnancy with Hashimoto's disease?

Kindly advise.

#

I understand your concern.

Yes, you can try for pregnancy. As soon as pregnancy is confirmed, check TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) and T4 (thyroxine). You will probably need to take thyroxine tablets. However, I suggest you start with a small dose of thyroxine now. The benefit of taking a small dose of thyroxine outweighs the risks.

Answers to these questions will help me give you a more personalized recommendation.

I am trying for pregnancy for the first time. So, I wanted to check about thyroid before planning for pregnancy. I am 32 years old. Please suggest a suitable dose for thyroxine.

#

I suggest you take a tablet Thyroxine 25 mcg once daily. Then, recheck TSH in eight weeks, and if TSH is still more than 3 mU/L, increase the dose to 50 mcg.

|