HomeAnswersFamily Physicianhashimoto's thyroiditisIs Hashimoto's disease a serious condition?

Kindly guide me about Hashimoto's disease.


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 14, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 20, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am an 18-year-old girl. I have had thyroid problems since I was around 11. It used to be just considered hypothyroidism but now we have figured out that it is Hashimoto’s disease. I rotate daily between 88 mcg and 100 mcg of Levothyroxine to keep my TSH in check because that is the only thing that works. I get my blood drawn every six months but my doctor has not checked these antibodies lately even though last time, the number was around 5,000 when it was supposed to be 0 to 59. Some days I can barely move, and I am really limited in the activities that I am physically able to participate in. I am just scared. I do not know what is going to happen to me. If someone who is older could help or tell me what happens, I would really appreciate it.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Hashimoto disease also causes hypothyroidism and you are already taking medication for hypothyroidism. So do not worry. It is a type of autoimmune disease. So kindly go for detecting which autoimmune problem causes your Hashimoto's disease means along with Levothyroxine you have to take some medication also for autoimmune diseases like a steroid or immunosuppressive drugs or Iodine, etc.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Chandra Shekhar
Dr. Chandra Shekhar

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Family Physician

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy