Hbe Trait

Will HbE trait cause any threat to my baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1 year 7 months old. He has hemoglobin E trait. We just got his hemoglobin electrophoresis done and it showed 73% hemoglobin A along with 27% A2 and E. Does this pose a threat? Otherwise, he is a healthy and active kid. He has a slight iron deficiency and for which, we are giv...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: There is nothing to worry. As there is no associated thalassemia or other hemoglobinopathy, this is not to be worried about. In the future, during the marriage, he needs to look into hemoglobin electrophoresis of the female t...  Read Full »

Can HbEe trait in mother affect the children?

Query: Hello doctor, The last few days my wife says that she feels sick. After that, I took my wife to the doctor. She suggested a few tests named HB electrophoresis, ferritin, TSH, PPBS, USG lower abdomen, CBC, PBF and urine test. Result:Hb%: 10.2, platelet-266000, RBC-4.28, WBC-7300, MCV-74, HCT/PCV-32...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The serum ferritin level is not high in every case of hemolytic anemia. Your electrophoresis report is suggestive of HbE (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a case of a mild form of hemolytic anemia. In that case, the ferritin level might not be rais...  Read Full »

My fiancee has HbE trait. Should I get married to her?

Query: Hi doctor, I am planning to get married. Performed HPLC tests and my report is normal but the girl has HbE trait. Please suggest if this is harmful or the next generation has chance of being HbE carrier or there will be any medical condition to my progeny in the future. Please suggest if the marria...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked your attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are not having any hemoglobinopathy. The attached report of that girl is showing HbE hemoglobinopathy and it is HBe trait. It is an autosomal recessive condition. So, if you bo...  Read Full »

As me and my fiance are carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia, we need your valuable advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I found out that I am a carrier of Hb E beta thalassemia. The problem is that my fiance is also a carrier and he is carrying Hb E trait. We do not want to separate. If you can give us your valuable advice, then it will be a great pleasure for us.  Read Full »

Dr. Veerendra Channabasappa Patil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the information you provided, it seems that you has Hb E beta thalassemia trait and your fiance has only Hb E trait. If so, then the chance of having a child with severe thalassemia is less. But, if you both have same Hb E beta thalassemia trait, then there is a chan...  Read Full »

What could cause recurrent fever and body pain in a 13 year old?

Query: Hi doctor,My son is 13 years old and his weight is 46 kg. His WBC is 6000, lymphocyte is around 50% (checked thrice in the last two years), Hb is 11 g% and HbE trait. His overall health is fine, but he is getting recurrent fever attack of around four to five times in a year with severe body pain. P...  Read Full »

Dr. Prakash H. Muddegowda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: HbE trait with 11 g% hemoglobin is good and well maintained. His white blood cell count is normal and lymphocytes are mildly increased. There is nothing to suggest any particular cause. Recurrent infection could be due to low...  Read Full »

My wife has HbE trait and is pregnant. Can this affect the child's health?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is nine weeks pregnant with our first child. We got are hemoglobin results back today. My wife's test results were positive. Ea, HbE trait with or without thalassemia. I would like to know if child's health could be a concern? Please help. Her grandmother has diabetes. Got it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Singh Smrita

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HbE trait will not pose any health problems to your child if he or she inherits it. Only the size of the red blood cells will be smaller than normal. The only worrying aspect is the fact that your wife might have the alpha thalassemia gene which might affect your bab...  Read Full »