Q. Do you think my head injury is a critical one?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Jul 25, 2016

My head got injured after some part of a concrete ceiling collapse. CT Scan done and I have attached the reports. I was hospitalized three days. An ENT opinion was taken and also, an audiometry was done. It showed a minor injury in the right ear and less audibility. Now, I have some pain in the left side of my head, ear area and heaviness all around the head. Please suggest what to do further. Please check the attached histopathological diagnostic reports.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

• You are suffering from brain contusions (microhemorrhages) as well as scalp injuries (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is the cause of the pain and heaviness.
  • You have to take antibiotics, anti-epileptics and painkillers. I suggest the following drugs. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  1. Tablet Levemex (Levetiracetam) 500 mg one in the morning and one at night
  2. Tablet Lasix (Furosemide) 40 mg half tablet in the morning and half in the noon. 
  3. Tablet Ranitidine 100 mg one in the morning and one at night.
  4. Syrup Antacid 10 mL thrice daily
  5. Syrup KCl 10 mL (Potassium chloride) thrice daily.
  • I suggest the above drugs in addition to what is being mentioned in the list you have sent to me. Take for one week after food and revert back to me.

Revert back after a week to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I am very much worried about my condition. I am weak and totally tired. I could not eat properly as there are some swelling on the face. I feel headache and just want to sleep all the time. Do you think this trauma as critical? I have not yet started the medicines you suggested. If I take all these medicines, will there by any side effects? Also, please guide us how much period will it take for complete recovery. Thank you.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

#

• You are suffering from scalp injuries as well as brain contusions and this is critical.
  • You must take all the drugs. Else, you may develop seizures or fits and other complications.
  • As I had specifically mentioned, you need to take the above medicines in addition to the ones you are already taking for one week.
  • Complete recovery will take around six months. We have to do CT brain for one week after injury and based on that, we can reduce a few drugs.

Hi sir,

I hope you remember my case. You guided me to take a few medicines, which I took for one week along with other medications prescribed. I am much better now, but sometimes I feel heaviness or can say numbness on the injured side. I took Ultracet tablet once, specified by the doctor to relieve that pain and feeling. I want to ask, shall I get a CT Scan again? We have not consulted the doctor again where I initially admitted.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

#

I am happy to hear that your head heaviness is better now. Please do the CT scan again. You can continue the following medicines with the consent of your treating doctor.

1. Tablet Levemex 500 mg one in the morning and one at night.
  2. Tablet Neuciti Forte (Citicolin+Piracetam) one in the morning and one at night.
  3. Tablet Cognifast 90 mg (Cerebroprotein hydrolysate) one in the morning.
  4. Tablet Homin (Folic acid+Mecobalamine) one in the morning.
  5. Tablet Calcium once in the morning.

Take care.

Revert with the report to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Why do I defecate several times in a day?

Query: Hello doctor, I defecate almost five times a day. My stool is hard most often. This caused me an anal fissure which I am currently recovering from. My diet is high in protein. I eat fruits and salad on daily basis. Is this normal? Could it be a sign of colon cancer? I am currently taking Daflon for...  Read Full »

Why do I have a heavy feeling in my head?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. My BP and sugar levels are normal. For the last two months, I am facing the following problems. My head feels heavy, but I do not have a headache. I feel dizzy and head spinning feeling at the time of walking, uneasy feel in the forehead part, mild eye pain and blurred ...  Read Full »

My nose is always blocked. What can I do to get relief?

Query: Hi doctor, My nose is always blocked. No matter, how many times I blow it, little comes out and I still have the feeling of blockage. What can I do? I am taking tablets for blood pressure.  Read Full »