Q. When can we expect consciousness after a surgery for FTP contusion and acute SDH?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Dec 16, 2018

My dad is 60 years old. Before 15 days, he met with an accident and was injured on the right side of the head. There was bleeding on both the ears and some cholesterol like thing was there in one ear. We have noticed that, but not sure what it was. We have admitted him in the hospital and he had a surgery for left FTP contusion and acute SDH. He looks like he has eyeball movement inside, but he did not open his eyes still. What is the reason? How many days will be taken to open his eyes? When we speak something to him there is no response from him. Can we expect that he will get conscious? When we give him a pain he is moving his hand and leg, but when we touch him simply, there is no response. What would be the reason? Can we expect him back as he was earlier? He is not speaking anything. The injury was on the right side head and the operation was done on the left side. Would like to know why the operation done on the opposite side? Otherwise, he is passing the urine and motion regularly. I will also attach the scan report. Please look at that and help me on my doubts and provide me the status of him.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

He is in coma. The time to recovery will be longer and we cannot predict that now. As he is in coma, he can only feel the pain and not touch. Also, he will not be able to react much while in coma.

While in coma, the patient will be unconscious ans so he cannot speak. Moreover, since the injury is on the left side, the speech areas in the brain may be affected.

Some injuries like fracture and EDH (epidural hematoma) occur on the same side. Some like SDH (subdural hematoma) and contusion occur on the opposite side. Since you have mentioned it as SDH and contusion, it would have happened on the opposite side.

Do you think my head injury is a critical one?

Query: Hi doctor, My head got injured after some part of a concrete ceiling collapse. CT Scan done and I have attached the reports. I was hospitalized three days. An ENT opinion was taken and also, an audiometry was done. It showed a minor injury in the right ear and less audibility. Now, I have some pa...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from brain contusions (microhemorrhages) as well as scalp injuries (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is the cause of the pain and heaviness. You have to take antibiotics, anti-epileptics and painkillers. I suggest the following drug...  Read Full

Can subdural hematoma be cured by medicines alone?

Query: Hello doctor, Please go through and advise. 'Acute on chronic subdural hemorrhage in bilateral cerebral convexities measuring 2 cm in the right side and 1.3 cm in the left side. The mass effect is noted in the form of effacement of adjacent sulcal spaces and compression of ventricles. Thin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sudheer Ambekar
Neuro Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surgery is absolutely indicated in this case. This hematoma cannot be cured with medications. Surgery should not be delayed as there is a possibility of permanent brain damage if the mass effect is not relieved. This is usually a minor surgery. Burr holes and d...  Read Full

I have smashed thumb with swelling and blood clot and do not want nail removal. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a smashed thumb by the cricket ball. I was hit last week and there is blood clot under my nail. Thus I am still having pain in my finger and it is swollen. Now the pain reduced a bit but the swelling is unchanged and because of it I am still having pain and I cannot bend my fin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandhya

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. After careful analysis of your history, it looks like a hematoma of the nail bed or contusion. Since you have mentioned that X-ray reports were negative, you do not have to worry about anything serious. Firstly, I would suggest you not to rely on any other informatio...  Read Full