Q. Following head injury, my daughter was unable to sit and speak properly. Why?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

My 4 year old daughter hit her head against a wall and was not speaking properly for half an hour. She is not sitting properly. She is feeling drowsy. We took her to a doctor, who said she is in a shock and there is no need to worry. Then, she had milk, talked for a while, and we observed some normal behavior. And then, she slept. Is there anything to worry?

#

• Head injury followed by drowsiness, unable to speak and sit properly is an indication for getting a brain scan for looking if any bleeding has occurred in the brain or any fracture.
  • Get her admitted in hospital with pediatric ICU facilities for observation for at least 24 to 48 hours. Your child might develop fits, etc.
  • On the other hand, nothing can happen too. But, it is always better to get admitted to being on the safer side. So, it is a worrisome situation.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|