Q. My father has got brain hemorrhage. Is he out of danger now?

Dr. Chirag Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My father, who is 58 years old, has got brain hemorrhage before eight days. He was immediately hospitalized, and till today he is in CCU. He has some body movement, but he is in the unconscious state. He cannot open his eyes, cannot talk and does not have any mouth moment. He can breathe naturally without external oxygen. His previous medical history includes diabetes, constipation, high BP and continuous whistling problem in both ears since last 20 years. Also, he had a heart attack before seven years. Now, every part of his body below the neck is fine except the right hand. He never required a ventilator. Is he out of danger zone? How much time will he take to open his eyes and come out of unconscious state? Is it normal for such patients? I have attached all reports of my father. Please reply me as soon as possible.

Dr. Chirag Solanki

General Surgery Neuro Surgery Spine Surgery
#

• Your father has a hypertensive bleed on the left side. Because of that, he is not able to move his right hand, and probably there will also be some weakness of right leg.
  • We just have to wait and watch as the blood will dissolve slowly he will gradually improve. It is not possible to exactly tell the time when he will improve but usually these patients improve in one or two months time. Right-sided weakness might not recover completely.
  • Because of this bleeding, water might collect in the brain. If it happens then, a tube might require to remove it. Otherwise, there is no immediate life threatening situation.
  • But as these patients are unconscious secondary issues like lung infection, clotting of blood in legs, especially when the leg is weak and not working, can complicate the condition.
  • Otherwise, we have to wait for the resolution of blood and recovery.

For further information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

| 

What could be the cause for severe headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing severe headaches. I have not slept in two days. I am having erratic thoughts, more so than usual which scares me a bit, to be honest. I feel like I am on the verge of a breakdown. I have had two psychotic breakdowns in the last two years. The headaches are getting worse....  Read Full »

I have a bruise on my arm after plasma transfusion. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a really bad bruise on my arm after giving plasma. I think it might be a blood clot. I am an 18 year old male.  Read Full »

What are the possible circumstances in case of subarachnoid hemorrhage?

Query: Hi doctor, My grandfather, who is 84 years, has been suffering from subarachnoid hemorrhage since 10 days. Also, he has been unconscious for the past 10 days. What are the possible circumstances and solutions in this case?  Read Full »

Ask a Neuro Surgeon Now