Q. My boyfriend has been having severe migraines after he fell and hit his head. Why?

Dr. Seyedaidin Sajedi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2020

My bf has been having severe migraines we where at a family event and he fell and hit his head after this happened we went home his temperature had risen and he started to have bad migraines I took him to the emergency room they did X-Rays and did a spinal tapping to check for fluid on the spine everything was good all he was diagnosed with was a uti they gave him antibiotics and pain medicine for his head the medicine is not working for him he is having trouble or sleeping and he also doesn’t have an appetite everything they he tries to eat and drink makes him feel sick I am keeping him hydrated I’ve tried giving him Tylenol or Aleve and that’s not helping him his migraines just keep getting worse to the point where he can’t hold hold his head up or turn his neck

#

Dear

According to your history your BF had a head trauma and after that, fever and sever headache has started. You said that in the ER, he had underwent X-ray and spinal tap. What about brain CT scan? Did you mean CT scan by saying "X-ray"? I ask it because it is very important. If a brain CT was done and was normal, your friend need to be evaluated by brain MR venography (MRV) and MR angiography. If the brain CT wasn't done, he needs to be evaluated by a brain CT for the sub-dural or intracranial hemorrhage.

Finally, if all above be normal, his current headache may be the side-effect of spinal tap. Sometimes after spinal-tap, a condition known as low-pressure headache occurs. In such cases, the headache and neck pain occure when patient change his position to sitting or upright. He needs to be visited by a neurologist to determine the cause.

|