Q. Can you give your opinion about my hearing test results?

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I want to ask a question about my recent hearing test. I want to confirm whether it is normal. My audiologist told me that my hearing is within normal limits. But the ENT specialist reviewed it and told me that there is a fraction of hearing loss. According to the report, I have hearing loss in my left ear. But during an examination of it, it looked normal. According to the image, hearing loss was present in my right ear. I am confused as the audiologist assured me that there is no hearing loss or pressure or fluid in my ears.

#

There are two classifications in the degree of hearing loss. So according to the first one, it is normal and according to the second one, there is minimal hearing loss. Please mention the problems faced related to ears. On considering the threshold levels at each frequency, it is normal. Do not worry. Repeat the test after six months.

I had pressure in my ear and it got started due to the build-up of fluid in the ears. After that, it got cleared. But still, I have some feelings of pressure that radiate under my right ear and under my jaw. It seems to be a tickling-like sensation that radiates into my right ear. But I do not have any clogged feeling when I have fluid in the ear. I consulted my ENT specialist again and he told me that it can be due to a muscle issue of TMJ. But I do not have any pain. I also did an MRI of the head along with a CT of the neck. Both the results were normal.

I used a massager on my jaw joint. After that, my symptoms got worse with stress and anxiety. It caused sensitive hearing or hyperacusis in my left ear. For a while, hyperacusis went away but it came back when I became more stressed. My doctor thinks that increased stress and anxiety cause muscle tension in my neck or jaw and ear muscles. When I am eating, I can hear some fluttering-like sensation in my ears and it dissipates when I get relaxed. My concern is about the pressure or tightness feeling on the right side of the face and under my jaw and there is occasional hyperacusis in my left ear.

#

Do steam inhalation. You can take lukewarm water sip by sip. Do not chew your food hardly and take a small portion of food during every bite. Start practicing Bhramari pranayam for getting relaxed. Do not do it on your own and you can end up in severe problems. I have gone through the audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it is quite normal. Start following all the steps to have improvement.

Is it the right ear or left ear that tested slightly below 20db? I know that it is still normal with these values. But I am confused as the doctor told it as left ear but actually it was present in my right ear.

#

On the right ear, the threshold is 25 dBHL at one frequency. On considering ears on pure-tone average, the left ear has 13 dBHL and the right ear has 8 dBHL. So the right ear is better. Do not open your mouth too much and take semisolid food often.

|