Q. Am I at a risk for heart attack?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I had a CT scan of my heart to check for calcium buildup in my arteries. The score is 5.83 cubic mm and there is a break down in left anterior descending and no detectable calcification. An approximately 2 mm calcification is present within the proximal aspect of the left circumflex coronary artery about 2 to 3 cm distal to its origin. And 2.8 mm calcification is present within the proximal aspect of the right coronary artery just distal to its origin. Please tell me your opinion. Am I at a risk of heart attack? I do not have any previous history of heart issue, but heart disease runs in my family. Last month, my cholesterol and LDL were 280 and 235 and now 182 and 149 respectively. 

#

We follow so many patients, but these are just a predictor of screening patient who are at risk. Even, a low score person also gets a heart attack.

You need to show your report to your cardiologist rather than doing interpretation by yourself.

Even we had seen so many patients with critical blockages in coronary CT and found the only minimal disease. So, it is not a gold standard test.

Still risk factors like obesity, smoking, high cholesterol are better predictors.

• If you are regularly doing exercise or brisk walking and not having any symptoms means less chances of blockages.
  • Even on angiography, we consider critical blockages when they are more than 70%.
  • Your cholesterol is really high and try to reduce it. Your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level should be around 100. So, you can get your dose of Atorvastatin increased after discussing with your cardiologist.
  • Follow a healthy food and exercise. I can help you more if you get details of report and history like diabetes or other comorbidities along with your age.

Revert back with detailed history to a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Why was I prescribed Simvastatin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old female. My HDL is 70, LDL 207, cholesterol 288, AST 35, MPV 4.5 and monocyte auto 1.4. All my other readings in my health check are normal. My doctor has prescribed 10 mg of Simvastatin. I do not know whether I should take it or not after I read the side effects. I am ...  Read Full »

Is heart attack genetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old female. My father who is 65 years old has suffered from two very severe heart attacks, one recently and another two years back. His father and brother both died in their 50s from heart attacks. Is heart attack genetic? Should my son and I get tested?  Read Full »

What will you suggest for heart block, stent or bypass?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother-in-law went for angiography, and he has two blockages 60% and 80%. Now, his doctor saying that it is urgent to get an operation and they will fix two stents. What will you suggest? Is it fine to go with a stent? Will it work lifetime? Or shall we opt bypass?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»