Q. Am I at a risk for heart attack?

Dr. Vivek Maroti Celerio Mandurke
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I had a CT scan of my heart to check for calcium buildup in my arteries. The score is 5.83 cubic mm and there is a break down in left anterior descending and no detectable calcification. An approximately 2 mm calcification is present within the proximal aspect of the left circumflex coronary artery about 2 to 3 cm distal to its origin. And 2.8 mm calcification is present within the proximal aspect of the right coronary artery just distal to its origin. Please tell me your opinion. Am I at a risk of heart attack? I do not have any previous history of heart issue, but heart disease runs in my family. Last month, my cholesterol and LDL were 280 and 235 and now 182 and 149 respectively. 

#

We follow so many patients, but these are just a predictor of screening patient who are at risk. Even, a low score person also gets a heart attack.

You need to show your report to your cardiologist rather than doing interpretation by yourself.

Even we had seen so many patients with critical blockages in coronary CT and found the only minimal disease. So, it is not a gold standard test.

Still risk factors like obesity, smoking, high cholesterol are better predictors.

• If you are regularly doing exercise or brisk walking and not having any symptoms means less chances of blockages.
  • Even on angiography, we consider critical blockages when they are more than 70%.
  • Your cholesterol is really high and try to reduce it. Your LDL (low-density lipoprotein) level should be around 100. So, you can get your dose of Atorvastatin increased after discussing with your cardiologist.
  • Follow a healthy food and exercise. I can help you more if you get details of report and history like diabetes or other comorbidities along with your age.

Revert back with detailed history to a cardiologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|