Q. Does Spironolactone cause a hot feeling in patients who have heart failure with preserved ejection fraction?

Dr. Prashant Valecha

My mother has heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Currently, she is using tablet Carvedilol and tablet Spironolactone. She is feeling too hot and is scared that the condition may worsen. Does she need to change the dosage of Spironolactone in the summer heat? Also, is a daily thiamine supplementation good, and if so, in what dosage?

Kindly advise.

#

I understand your concern. Tablet Spironolactone is a potassium-sparing diuretic. I suggest you monitor the levels of her serum electrolytes like sodium (Na+) and potassium (K+), water intake, and urine output to change the dose. If she is well tolerating the current dose, there is no need to change the dose. Only increase the water intake as ejection fraction is preserved.

Thiamine is vitamin B1. It is better to take a B complex with vitamin B and folic acid. They can be taken on alternate months as they are water-soluble vitamins and do not accumulate like fat-soluble vitamins (Vitamin A, D, E, and K).

Also, I suggest she lives in cool places, on lower floors of a building, or in areas having AC (air conditioners) or air coolers, and avoid extreme sun.

Do revert in case of further doubts.

|