Q. I have congestive heart failure with EF at 42. Will this get normal with healthy diet?

Dr. Ilir Sharka
Published on Aug 21, 2018

I am a healthy 50 year old man who worked out six days a week. About six weeks ago, I had chest pain and went to a hospital. I was admitted after having three blocked arteries, at 99, 93 and 88 percent, and successfully had three stents put in. Since released, I have turned to a vegan diet and eat fish, chicken, and greens. Would it be alright to have one cheat meal per week, aka steak, burger, Italian or would that do damage? Also, I have congestive heart failure with a fraction rate of 42. The doctor put me on Carvedilol and said with proper diet, exercise and meals, I can get that number back in the normal range in five to six months.

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiology
#

I would explain that heart failure is a clinical syndrome. EF (ejection fraction) is not the only element indicative of heart failure. It may differ based on the clinical situation and other parameters.

I agree with your current therapy. I agree with your doctor that a healthy lifestyle is necessary to improve your situation. We cannot make predictions on your heart function, but we can hope that everything will be fine.

Unfortunately, this is a chronic and serious medical condition, which cannot be cured. The optimization of the therapy and a healthy lifestyle can help improve your survival and improve your life quality.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Is there any abnormality in my ECG reports?

Query: Hello doctor, Can you read my ECG and tell me why it says abnormal?  Read Full »

There is no improvement in my father's cough. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 67 years old. His past history included pneumonia several years ago, leg cramps once in every two weeks or so and vitamin B helps with it and minor daily coughing of unsure cause. He never smoked and does not drink alcohol. Three and a half weeks ago, he went to the ER due to...  Read Full »