Q. I have lower back pain, and my creatinine level is high. Are my kidneys failing?

Dr. Krishna Somani
Published on Sep 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2019

I have pain on the right side of my back, and I have a fever of 100 F. I do not have shortness of breath, and my urine output is fine. I get shoulder pain when I breathe deeply, and I feel tired. I got a blood test yesterday, and my neutrophils are 9.68, lymphocytes are 13.10, total leukocyte count is 12.80, MCH is 32.10, RBC count is 4.34, chloride is 97, creatinine is 1.42, albumin is 4.72, total protein is 8.70, bilirubin total is 0.69, bilirubin direct is 0.15, bilirubin indirect is 0.54, LDL cholesterol is 104, HDL is 32.30, and non-HDL is 130.70. I currently take Envas 5, Amdepin 10, and Dytor plus 10.

#

• Stop Envas (Enalapril) immediately, and check your weight and blood pressure daily. If fever persists, then Dytor plus (Spironolactone and Torasemide)  also needs to be reduced.
  • High creatinine of 1.4 is mostly because of fever, which would settle once the fever goes. To know the cause of fever, get a blood culture, urine routine and microscopic, and ultrasound of the abdomen done.
  • After that, I suggest you start on some antibiotic based on your primary physician's opinion.

For more information consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thank you for the reply. After checking my reports, what do you think, how serious is this? Are my kidneys close to failing?

#

• No dear, nothing like that. But you need constant monitoring of creatinine.

For further queries consult a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Thanks for the reply again. My physician is unavailable for a while. Can I have paracetamol, two times a day till he comes back?

#

• Yes, you can have Paracetamol. But, you definitely need an antibiotic.

Thank you so much. I have attached one report that I got today. Rest of the reports will come in a few days. Please tell me your opinion.

#

• I have seen the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your urine report is absolutely normal.

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Paracetamol tablets for tooth pain

Query: Hello Doctor, Can I take two Amoxicillin 500 tablets for my first dose of medicines for a tooth infection? Is there anything at home that will take the pain away?  Read Full »

What has to be done for fever and chills in 3 years 6 months old child?

Query: Hello doctor, Fever and chills in a child of age 3 years 6 months. A mild cough is also noticed. What can I do?  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now