Q. Is CRTD good for heart patient with acute heart failure and MI?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on May 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2020

My father has acute heart failure and extensive MI since two months ago. Also, he got a pleural effusion and leg edema. He is in bed symptomatic depending on oxygen device most of the time. His EF is 21.

The ECG shows possible left atrial enlargement, nonspecific intraventricular block, right ventricular hypertrophy, inferior infarct, and anterolateral infarct. QRS = 138 with right bundle branch block.

He sleeps in a 30-45 degree. We did not do PCI until now. I would like to know will CRTD be good for him?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

As he had a heart attack, first priority is revascularization of angioplasty or bypass surgery. If this is done and heart function improves, then it will be good. In right bundle branch block, there is very little benefit of CRT (cardiac resynchronization therapy).

If revascularization is not possible, then maximum medical therapy is best. Yes, ICD (implantable cadioverter defibrillator) is indicated. It should be considered once the patient is out of the acute episode and is stabilized.

If the patient needs recurrent hospitalization for heart failure or recurrent BP drops that need medicines to raise it, then the option is left ventricular assist device (LVAD) or total artificial heart (TAH) or heart transplantation (subject to availability of facilities).

First thing is to assess for revascularization if there is viable heart muscle.

| 

Heart Healthy Foods

Article Overview: There are millions of people across the globe who suffer from various heart ailments like atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, myocardial infarction, coronary heart disease, and stroke. According to the American Public Health Association, a majority of the heart ailments are caused due to a faulty diet and lifestyle pattern owing to today’s sedentary lifestyle. People are so busy and stressful these days that they do not get enough time to exercise and even prepare a healthy meal and end up consuming junk bought from outside which is very palatable and sadly hazardous to health too. Read Article

Here are some of the reasons listed for the causes of various heart diseases. Consumption of Foods High in Bad Cholesterol Bad cholesterol is one which is rich in saturated fats and contains trans fat. Sources of trans fat include butter, ghee, margarine, lard, milk solids, etc. Trans fat is found...  Read Article

Is the heart muscle becoming too weak?

Query: Hello doctor,My 59 year old father has hypertension from the past nine years and acidity problem. He got an acute MI last month. Prior to this, from past 10 days, he was suffering from a low blood pressure and our family doctor asked him to stop the BP tablet for a few days. At morning 5 AM, he got ...  Read Full »