Q. Please see my father's reports and tell me if he has a heart problem.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

My father was admitted to the hospital last month, due to pain in the stomach, left hand, and shoulder. He is hypertensive from the last two years. After doing some tests, the doctor said that there might be a problem in the heart. I am attaching his reports and prescription. Please give your opinion.

#

I have carefully gone through your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

He has got two problems, a heart disease called coronary artery disease and gastritis.

His ECG shows abnormalities and his troponin level is also elevated, indicating a heart attack. However, the echocardiogram is grossly normal, meaning there is no significant damage done yet. The medicine that he is taking are fine, and he needs to continue the same.

He should undergo angiography and if needed stenting, to prevent heart damage. His creatinine is elevated, which indicates kidney damage, due to high blood pressure. So, blood pressure should be accurately controlled by doing the following.

1. He should have a healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty, oily, and high-calorie diet.
  2. Have low salt diet and monitor blood pressure regularly, thrice a day for one week then once or twice a week. If BP is persistently more than 140/90 mmHg or even 130/90 mmHg, then medicines should be increased.
  3. Regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging, according to his capacity for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week.
  4. Take a lot of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week, avoid meat.
  5. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any.
  6. There should not be abdominal fat deposition or obesity.

For gastritis, try doing the following.

1. He should avoid fatty, oily and spicy diet.
  2. Go for a walk after having food instead of taking rest.
  3. Have multiple small meals instead of a heavy meal.
  4. Have regular sleep habits and avoid stress.
  5. Antacid which he is receiving should be continued.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|