Q. Can you explain my maid's heart condition in simple terms?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Mar 11, 2017

My maid has a heart problem since her birth. She complains of pain in heart, a sudden increase in heartbeat, feels hot and leg pain. Now, she feels very weak. Her echo was done recently and I have attached that here.

#

• Her echocardiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows three heart valves have been affected, mitral regurgitation (MR), tricuspid valve regurgitation (TR) and aortic valve regurgitation (AR).
  • Her LVEF is 38% (left ventricular ejection fraction). Her heart contractile function is much below normal level and all put together she is having these health problems.
  • Also, her potassium level is high, which needs immediate treatment. I suggest K bind powder two times daily.
  • I advise her to avoid any fruit juice, dal, banana, etc. Ask her to consult her cardiologist at the earliest.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Can you explain her heart condition in layman language. I wanted to understand the risk to her life with this heart condition. What treatment do you suggest for her?

#

• She had rheumatic fever in childhood, which subsequently affected three heart valves out of four heart valves. Heart's capacity to pump blood has also changed substantially.
  • Immediate problem is high potassium which may cause a sudden acute problem to cardiac arrest. I have already mentioned the treatment of the same. If possible, please admit the patient in a hospital.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

What can cause knee pain with swelling?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have knee pain in both the legs and it is paining alternatively for the past 1.5 years. Pain starts with swelling around the knee and stay for three to four hours and the pain will be at least once in one to two months. I feel like pinching with needle in the feet. I ...  Read Full »

What medicines can be taken for pain in the joints of fingers, knees, and toes?

Query: Hello doctor, I had very mild pain in my finger joints about 10 days ago. But, with due course of time, I also developed pain in knee joints which is mild to severe and also a mild pain in the toes of the foot. I am also having a headache. Further, I took Sinarest last night and in the mo...  Read Full »