Q. I have trivial mitral regurgitation. Is it something serious?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Aug 26, 2019

I just recently had an echocardiogram. The result was normal. The only finding was trivial regurgitation of my mitral valve. I was told this is normal. The question I have is, is this something that could get worse over time? If so, what lifestyle changes can I make now to prevent that from happening? I am 42 years old.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Trivial mitral regurgitation is physiological, which means normal. And in absence of structural heart abnormalities, this will not progress. So, there is nothing to worry about it and needs no specific precautions. You may continue with all your daily activities including physical exercises.

What does high deceleration time in echocardiogram indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had an echocardiogram. The results were normal, but the deceleration time is 439 ms. My doctor did not say anything about it while reviewing the results. But, I have subsequently learned that it is very prolonged. What should I do now?  Read Full »

Can you explain my maid's heart condition in simple terms?

Query: Hi doctor, My maid has a heart problem since her birth. She complains of pain in heart, a sudden increase in heartbeat, feels hot and leg pain. Now, she feels very weak. Her echo was done recently and I have attached that here.  Read Full »

My heart is beating fast. Is it due to anxiety or any underlying problem?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. I have noticed that sometimes I wake up with my heart beating too fast and can feel my heart. This first happened when I woke up and took a look at my little child and thought my child was not breathing. That time my heart rate increased strongly. After this, sometimes ...  Read Full »