Q. Why would Lexiscan be recommended over calcium scoring in valve problems?

My dad recently had an echo done which showed valve issues. The cardiologist wants to do a Lexiscan. I thought there are less invasive tests like calcium scoring that would give the same information. Why would the Lexiscan be recommended over other tests?

#

Calcium score is not as informative as Lexiscan. It is a screening test and not a diagnostic. CT coronary angiography may yield a better information, but has false positive and negative rates. However, CT coronary angiography may be used as an alternative rather than calcium score.

Also, treadmill test is an alternative to Lexiscan if he is able to perform exercises.

Anyway, Lexiscan is much sensitive than calcium score for detection of blockages.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|