Q. What could be the cause for heaviness in the head?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Jan 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

My husband has been having head heaviness for a month now and I do not know what is causing this. He has had a cervical scan done and other tests were done and he was told there is nothing wrong. It been two months now since this started and is a sudden onset. Prior to this, he used to work out a lot at the gym but not now as he is having numbness and tingling sensation radiation from the lower back down his right leg with severe pains in the morning. There is a moderate pain with movement.

He is currently having back pain issues before this head heaviness started. He has had a CT scan done and the report is as follows:

• L1-L2 normal findings.
  • L2-L3 disc bulge with thecal indentation and irrelevant effect.
  • L3-L4 disc protrusion with caudal migration causing moderate canal stenosis and compression of the L4 nerve root at the lateral recess. Calcification of the disc noted posteriorly.
  • L4-L5 disc bulge with thecal indentation and contact to the L5 nerve roots at the lateral recess.

Impression: Essentially L3-L4 disc protrusion migration causing moderate canal stenosis and compression of the L4 nerve root at the lateral recess. I want to know what is actually happening. Some advice and recommendation and treatment options available in this situation.

• Also, how can we treat the heaviness in the head as is causing difficulty in sleeping?
  • Are there any medications?
  • Also, does the head heaviness got anything to do with this situation?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Your husband's lumbar spine CT (computed tomography)scan is indicative of a disk herniation, which is responsible for the pain in lower back and tingling sensations radiating in the right leg.

It is not related to headaches.

Considering these CT findings, I would recommend having some rest, avoiding prolonged standing up or sitting position and weightlifting.

Physiotherapy and painkillers (Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen) coupled with a muscle relaxant like Flexeril.

If the pain persists consulting with a spine surgeon.

Regarding headaches, I would like to review his cervical spine CT scan report. It could be related to a wrong posture or a tension-type headache ( related to psychological or physical stress).

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Why do I have a heavy feeling in my head?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. My BP and sugar levels are normal. For the last two months, I am facing the following problems. My head feels heavy, but I do not have a headache. I feel dizzy and head spinning feeling at the time of walking, uneasy feel in the forehead part, mild eye pain and blurred ...  Read Full »

Are there any permanent side-effects of Percoset?

Query: Hello doctor, If prescribed Percoset (5/325) and reversion back to regular Acetaminophen, is there even a slight chance that the oxy component of the Percoset could be triggered since Percoset side effects can be permanent even with one use?  Read Full »

My nose is always blocked. What can I do to get relief?

Query: Hi doctor, My nose is always blocked. No matter, how many times I blow it, little comes out and I still have the feeling of blockage. What can I do? I am taking tablets for blood pressure.  Read Full »