Q. From the MRI report, what is your opinion regarding the heaviness of head?

Dr. Aida Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My mother is currently taking treatment from a psychiatrist for depression. Her major symptoms are heaviness in the head, lower back pain, mood swings, feeling sad, and negative thoughts. Recently MRI and CT scan were done. CT scan was fine.

MRI indicates multiple small T2/FLAIR hyperintense foci without restricted diffusion are seen in bilateral centrum semiovale, the subcortical and deep white matter of bilateral frontal and left parietal lobe. No demonstrable signal alteration was seen in the corpus callosum at present. No evidence of restricted diffusion or blooming seen.

Features suggest the possibility of demyelinating etiology or pronounced microangiopathic changes. Please suggest what should be done? Either psychiatry treatment, or neurology treatment? Her main issue is the heaviness of head. She wakes up with negative thoughts, feeling like crying and suicidal behavior. She is currently on Ventab Xl, Mirnite, Clonotril, Olimelt, Lupirtin SR, and Sertee.

Do you have a question on Heaviness Of Head or Suicidal Thoughts?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Aida Quka

FACULTY OF MEDICINE, UNIVERSITY OF TIRANA., NEUROLOGY POST GRADUATION DEGREE, UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL CENTER
Neurology

I understand your concern and would explain that your mother's symptoms seem to be related to depression with psychotic signs. The lesions in MRI are suggestive of small vessel disease. I would recommend taking daily baby Aspirin 80 mg to help the progression of these changes.

In my opinion, her current therapy is quite complicated, and many interactions between drugs can worsen her situation. I would recommend stopping Mirnite (Mirtazapine) and Sertee (Sertraline) because they both interact with Ventab XL (Venlafaxine). Increasing the dose of Ventab XL may be necessary. Treatment of depression will help reduce the headache.

You should discuss with her psychiatrist on the above treatment option.

Also Read Answers From: Heaviness Of Head Suicidal Thoughts Mri Mood Swings

I am suicidal and feel manipulated and exploited. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor, I am suicidal. I feel so manipulated and exploited. My parents never listen to what I say and indirectly or directly cause some very unpleasant memories. Maybe I just want to be an ordinary kid, I want to play computer games and stuff, maybe I do not need to do academic stuff all the ...  Read Full »
Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Suicide is not a solution to any problem. There is no problem in the world which does not have any solution. Just we have to see from a different view. Take a break in your life. Think about what you want to do in the future. If you are not interested in the study, leav...  Read Full »

MRI shows 'intermediate signal intensity lesion in endometrial cavity.' What is it?
Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 55 years got an MRI with an observation of 'intermediate signal intensity lesion noted in the endometrial cavity measuring 19x28x24, in the fundal body region with loss of endometrial interface. Tethering of sigmoid colon with distal ileal loops to the uterus in fundus re...  Read Full »
Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With this report, there is a possibility of malignancy. Cancer of the uterus is more likely. Do CA 125 level, CT scan abdomen and pelvis, X-ray, sonography, PET scan and consult a gynecologist near you and also take an opinion from an oncosurgeon. Doctors will do o...  Read Full »

MRI spine showed intramedullary mass at T4. Is it a cyst or malignancy?
Query: Hello doctor, I had an MRI of the thoracic spine and it showed an intramedullar mass at level T4. I was told it is likely to be a cyst and is not malignant. However, everything I have read online says that intramedullar lesions are almost always malignant and cysts are rare or maybe evidence of MS,...  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you attach the MRI images and upload it so that I can see it? For more information consult a spine health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/spine-health-specialist  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now