Q. My wife is having heavy menstrual bleeding for 13 days. Please suggest treatment.

Answered by
Dr. Sameer Kumar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

Hi doctor,

My wife is 46 years old. She is having heavy bleeding during menstruation. She did not have her periods for eight months. Now, she started to have periods before 13 days and it is continuing to date. She uses five to six sanitary pads a day. Also, she has abdominal pain and constipation for the past three days. She is taking Trenaxa thrice a day, Spasmodart for abdominal pain, and Shelcal once a day. From yesterday, she is taking an injection of Aquaviron 25 mg. She also has weakness in her body. I need a second opinion and please suggest some treatment options.



Welcome to iclin

From the history, it is clear that she is in her peri-menopausal stage and so she is experiencing menorrhagia or excessive bleeding for 13 days. It is commonly seen in peri-menopausal women. She has been given antifibrinolytics in the form of Trenaxa (Tranexamic acid) and it is fine. If the bleeding is uncontrollable, then she needs to do an ultrasound pelvis to check her present endometrial thickness. If the endometrial thickness is above 9 mm, then she can start taking Progesterone pills for ten days to control the bleeding along with Diosmin and antifibrinolytics. If she has dizziness and weakness, then she may require hospitalization for having intravenous support.

Thank you doctor,

She is taking an Aquaviron 25 mg injection every day. Still, there are two more injections to be taken for the next two days. She has done an ultrasound pelvis last year and the endometrial thickness was 24 mm. Please suggest.



Welcome back to

As her endometrial thickness was 24 mm on her previous scan, then she needs to do an ultrasound pelvis immediately and if there is a need, she needs to do a D&C (dilation and curettage) procedure to take the endometrium out. It has to be sent for histopathology to rule out endometrial hyperplasia with or without atypia or endometrial cancer. Curettage will help to stop the bleeding. In the meantime, she can continue taking Trenaxa.

Thank you doctor,

We thank you for helping us.



Welcome back to

You are welcome.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can I Get Pregnant with PCOS?

PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is quite challenging and frustrating ... The good news is, with the right treatment and healthy lifestyle, women with PCOS have high chances of getting pregnant...   Read full

My partner is bleeding since eight days post ECP. Why?

.. the query. I can understand your concern. The possible causes of your partner's irregular spotting are as follows: 1. As her periods were delayed by last month itself means around one month ten days by the time you had sex. So, the possibility o...   Read full

Why am I getting prolonged foul order vaginal bleeding?

I am not experiencing any kind of pain or discomfort at all ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

H3N2v Influenza - Treatment and Prevention
Management and prevention of an Influenza A virus variant include various treatment options and measures. The below arti...  Read more»
Flu A - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
The flu, or influenza, is a contagious viral infection that attacks the respiratory system. Flu A and B viruses are resp...  Read more»
H3N2v Influenza: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
The H3N2v is a non-human influenza virus seen in pigs and can cause human infection. To know more, read the article belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.