Q. My partner is bleeding since eight days post ECP. Why?

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

I had unprotected sex with my partner on 24 and 25 last month and she had an ECP on 25th. In few hours, she had drop type bleeding which continued for two days and then she started bleeding. It has been eight days and she is having her periods without cramps or abdominal pain. Her last period of the previous month was on 15th. We are little worried what to do now. Is this normal? She is taking unwanted 72 from three years once in two or three months but earlier she never faced this type of problem. Please suggest us the right path.

Dr. Sree Gouri Sr

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern.

The possible causes of your partner's irregular spotting are as follows:

1. As her periods were delayed by last month itself means around one month ten days by the time you had sex. So, the possibility of pregnancy has to be ruled out.

2. Continuous usage of emergency contraceptive pill can lead to hormonal imbalance and menstrual irregularity.

3. Withdrawal effect due to the usage of the contraceptive pill.

It is better to consult your gynecologist once, let her get examined and go for urine pregnancy test and ultrasound. With this workup the possibility of pregnancy can be ruled out and also the possible cause of her problem can be identified and treatment can be taken accordingly. Take care.

|