Q. I have started bleeding heavily in my postpartum. What to do?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

I am currently (almost) 6 weeks postpartum. I had sex at 4 weeks of postpartum and I got the Nexplanon inserted a couple of days before that. My doctor checked to see whether my uterus was still up high and it was not. Also, I did not have any tearing during birth. My bleeding stopped at 2 weeks of postpartum. But, after I had sex, I started bleeding heavy with bright red blood. I am still bleeding. I am breastfeeding, so I was not expecting a period for a while. Yesterday, I started getting terrible cramps and my stomach looks the same as it did at 20 weeks pregnant. I feel bloated and the left side is really hard. I am having terrible cramps on the left side. Everything that I have been eating in the last two days, have made me so terribly nauseous. Also, I am having pulsating pains in my rectum and my vagina.

#

• Please get yourself checked by a gynecologist internally and get a pelvic scan done to rule out the exact cause.
  • Post delivery your body is tender and in a state of recovery. It is not yet ready to take so much stress and strain.
  • Usually, this could be due to the Nexplanon (Etonogestrel contraceptive implant) or due to hormonal changes, stress and strain.
  • Avoid having sex till then. Avoid stress and strain and take rest.
  • Take plenty of fluids, vegetables and fruits, iron-rich diet and iron supplements.

Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|