iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologybacterial vaginosisWhy do I get prolonged foul odor vaginal bleeding?

Why am I getting prolonged foul order vaginal bleeding?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At May 21, 2018
Reviewed AtFebruary 14, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am 23 years old and mostly likely anemic. Before two months, my period lasted longer than normal and the bleeding stopped after 8 to 10 days. My last period started on the correct date and I am still bleeding. I thought it was finished after my normal five day streak, but I leaked blood all over my clothes unexpectedly a day or two later. I did not think much of it and just used tampons until I was sure it was done. I had sex with my boyfriend and discovered that I was still very much bleeding. The strangest thing is the odor graduated from that bloody smell to a foul odor and the color changed on my tampon. It ranges from dark brown to yellowish to green with dabs of bright red. It is also only drawn into two particular places on the tampon, the right and just a small spot in the left center. The tampon is also never drenched in blood; it is a light flow just in those two areas. I am not experiencing any kind of pain or discomfort at all. I have only had unprotected sex with my boyfriend for two years. I know for a fact that he has not had any other sexual partners. I have always been regular, but this is the first time I have ever experienced this.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

You can bleed more sometimes due to irregular menses because of hormonal (chemical) levels of your body and its effect. But, you can bleed also due to cervical erosions and infection there. I personally never recommend tampons. Because, your menstrual blood contains some bacteria and pathogens which can infect. And, when you use tampons due to the collected blood, it gives a media to growth of that bacteria. The body can resist infection up to a limit and as the limit crosses you get signs and symptoms of infection for which you may have to take treatment. Now in your case, foul-smelling discharge and discoloration of the discharge are the signs of infection. Now I have to see, actually where the infection is. So best consult your nearby gynecologist. Let him see where the infection is and what type of discharge actually is. And, if required, then send the discharge for examination. By this we will know the type of infection and can give treatment accordingly.

Most probably you are having history, which seems to be likely bacterial vaginosis. It is a mixed infection. You will need to take the antibiotic course for 10 to 15 days and follow some precautions to avoid recurrence. Now, as far as antibiotics are concerned, I have to see the first type and nature of discharge and smell. So, better get consulted nearby for that. Kindly keep up the following precautions:

  1. Do not use tampons. Use pads and change more frequently during menses.
  2. Keep the area around the vagina as dry as possible, especially during menses.
  3. Change underwear more frequently if required. Use cotton underwear if possible.
  4. Drink more water as your urine becomes clear. Do clean vaginal area and immediately after urination and after every time you do sex.

These will help to avoid recurrence. And firstly, complete the drug course to completely eradicate the infection.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Mavani Jimesh Himatbhai
Dr. Mavani Jimesh Himatbhai

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy