Q. Why am I getting prolonged foul order vaginal bleeding?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on May 21, 2018

I am 23 years old and mostly likely anemic. Before two months, my period lasted longer than normal and the bleeding stopped after 8 to 10 days. My last period started on the correct date and I am still bleeding. I thought it was finished after my normal five day streak, but I leaked blood all over my clothes unexpectedly a day or two later. I did not think much of it and just used tampons until I was sure it was done. I had sex with my boyfriend and discovered that I was still very much bleeding. The strangest thing is the odor graduated from that bloody smell to a foul odor and the color changed on my tampon. It ranges from dark brown to yellowish to green with dabs of bright red. It is also only drawn into two particular places on the tampon, the right and just a small spot in the left center. The tampon is also never drenched in blood; it is a light flow just in those two areas. I am not experiencing any kind of pain or discomfort at all. I have only had unprotected sex with my boyfriend for two years. I know for a fact that he has not had any other sexual partners. I have always been regular, but this is the first time I have ever experienced this.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You can bleed more sometimes due to irregular menses because of hormonal (chemical) levels of your body and its effect. But, you can bleed also due to cervical erosions and infection there.

I personally never recommend tampons. Because, your menstrual blood contains some bacteria and pathogens which can infect. And, when you use tampons due to the collected blood, it gives a media to growth of that bacteria.

The body can resist infection up to a limit and as the limit crosses you get signs and symptoms of infection for which you may have to take treatment.

Now in your case, foul-smelling discharge and discoloration of the discharge are the signs of infection. Now I have to see, actually where the infection is. So best consult your nearby gynecologist. Let him see where the infection is and what type of discharge actually is.

And, if required, then send the discharge for examination. By this we will know the type of infection and can give treatment accordingly.

Most probably you are having history, which seems to be likely bacterial vaginosis. It is a mixed infection. You will need to take the antibiotic course for 10 to 15 days and follow some precautions to avoid recurrence.

Now, as far as antibiotics are concerned, I have to see the first type and nature of discharge and smell. So, better get consulted nearby for that.

Kindly keep up the following precautions:

1. Do not use tampons. Use pads and change more frequently during menses.
  2. Keep the area around the vagina as dry as possible, especially during menses.
  3. Change underwear more frequently if required. Use cotton underwear if possible.
  4. Drink more water as your urine becomes clear. Do clean vaginal area and immediately after urination and after every time you do sex.

These will help to avoid recurrence. And firstly, complete the drug course to completely eradicate the infection.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Is abnormal vaginal bleeding a sign of reproductive cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been bleeding heavily from my vagina for past five days. It only happens when I either open my bowel or while urinating. I put in a tampon to confirm that the bleeding is coming from my vagina and not from rectum. When I am not using the bathroom there is no bleeding and no blood o...  Read Full »

Having on and off heavy bleeding other than normal menstruation. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am not on any sort of birth control pills. I had a normal menstruation in the starting of this month and normal bleeding. After six to seven days, I started bleeding again. The bleeding was not very heavy, but lasted on and off for about six days. Now, after a gap o...  Read Full »

I am facing irregular periods from one year. Tell me some ayurvedic remedies.

Query: Hello doctor, I am facing irregular periods problem from one year (since I took I-pill). I took I-pill in fear of getting pregnant although I did not have sex till now. I am still a virgin, but physically active with my boyfriend. I am putting on weight due to irregular periods and stomach disturba...  Read Full »