Q. I am bleeding heavily for more than 12 days. Could this be miscarriage?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

I am 30 years old. I am married five years back and no kids. I got periods on 20th June. And it is still continuing. Today is the 12th day. I am having heavy bleeding with big clots (for the last seven days). I am feeling so tired because of heavy bleeding and back pain also. What should I do?

I am taking Trapic 500 mg. I took 6 tablets totally but I am still bleeding with small clots.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I would like to ask for some additional information. When was your previous period before the one that started on 20th June? Is there a history of sexual activity during your previous cycle?

| 

I had my last periods on 17th May. And yes, we had intercourse in the previous cycle. We are trying to get pregnant.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Take Trapic (Tranxemic acid) 500 mg thrice daily instead of twice daily for two more days. If the Trapic is not working you should be started on Progesterone to stop the heavy flow. I would recommend you also to get a scan done once the flow reduces, as it will show you the cause of heavy bleeding and also be a baseline scan to help you conceive.

| 

I have one more concern. Can I take the scan now or should I wait till the periods ends? Will it be a case of early stage miscarriage? I took a total of six tablets now. And still, I am bleeding and clots are coming but reduced. Could you please suggest what I should do? And what exactly will be the reason for this? As it is Corona situation I am afraid to go to the hospital.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

During periods, it is not possible to do a transvaginal scan which is more accurate and reliable to see any pathology than a transabdominal scan. Also, if you are worried about it being an early pregnancy loss, doing a pregnancy test is easier and convenient, taking into account the Corona situation which makes hospital visits difficult (it remains positive even if you are bleeding). Trapic tablet acts slowly and takes time to reduce the bleeding but is very safe.

|