Transvaginal Scan

A transvaginal scan is a diagnostic test that uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images of the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, cervix, and vagina. It is an internal examination, as the ultrasound is taken internally through the vagina.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why is my endometrium shrinking on 13th day of cycle?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on a 13-day cycle. My endometrium has shrunk to 7.7 which was 7.9 on 11th day. I am on Ecosprin 75 mg, Progynova 2 mg twice a day, Estrogen cutaneous cream. I was on Viagra vaginal insert for five days from day two. Now it has stopped. So, my question is why is my endometrium shr...  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Family Physician, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to A change of endometrial thickness from 7.9 to 7.7 mm is minimal and can be due to measuring bias. However, an ET of more than 7 and less than 8.5 mm by mid-cycle is an acceptable thickness for implantation. The medications that you are on are fine and should be conti...  Read Full »

Why does the ultrasound show no gestational sac despite being pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my last periods 51 days back. 13 days back my home pregnancy test was positive. But, no sac seen in ultrasound. When we checked at home 10 days before, again it showed positive. Sac was not seen today too. My hCG report is 188.19 mlU/mL. Please advise what to do.  Read Full »

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to As per your history, it appears that you are in 5 weeks of pregnancy. At this time the gestational sac should be there. But, do not worry as your beta-hCG is showing pregnancy levels. You should wait for one week and get the ultrasound repeated preferably a transv...  Read Full »

Can transvaginal scan cause spotting during pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a history of recurrent early miscarriage (before seven weeks). Investigations pointed to high autoimmune antibodies and high NK cells. With medication, I conceived naturally and had a successful pregnancy. I am now pregnant again (unplanned) and am 7 weeks + 3. I had some spotting...  Read Full »

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to How are you doing? I understand your concern. From your history, I do not see any reason for you to worry. This spotting could be from mild erosion on surface of the cervix, which may bleed spontaneously or during sex or due to scan probe. In your history as you have ...  Read Full »

What causes very high hCG levels in pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I had two miscarriages around 9 and 8 years ago. My last 6-7 periods were heavy and had a lot of pain. A lot of my family members had fibroids. So, I thought the same in my case too. Two months back, I got my last period, and as usual, it lasts 5-7 days, 28-29 days cycl...  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. I feel sorry about your loss. It is most likely a molar pregnancy (benign tumor developing in the uterus) because hCG levels are quite high (human chorionic gonadotropin) and it is inside the uterus. Most l...  Read Full »

Suggest an alternative birth control method to copper T.

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is now 1 year old. I got copper T inserted after 3 months of my delivery. I still have prolonged and heavy periods followed by spotting lasting for up to 10-15 days. There is no other issue that I face. Is it because of copper T insertion or can there be some other reason too? W...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have read and understood your problem. How was the bleeding before pregnancy and for 3 months after delivery? Was your delivery a normal or C-section? Whether the copper-T is properly placed or not or to see some other cause for heavy bleeding you need to take a tr...  Read Full »

Why am I still bleeding after a miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor,I had a miscarriage two weeks ago (three months pregnancy) and I went to the hospital. The doctor told me I have to flush everything out, which I did. But since then I have been having light bleeding with pain until last week. I had a heavy one with a thick clot and something else I cannot...  Read Full »

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to You had a miscarriage and it was managed medically. Post medical induction, you can have bleeding gradually but it can be in episodes and can be extended up to 2 to 3 weeks in form of mild spotting. Stopping of bleeding is not the solution actually. Have one transvagina...  Read Full »

I have sperm leakage from vagina post-sex after D and C procedure. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having the problem of sperm leakage from my vagina immediately after sex for some time now. It comes out in loads which were not like that in years back just before I had a D and C three years back. I have been trying to get pregnant but to no avail and I suspect this coul...  Read Full »

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Fertilisation of ova requires a single sperm, and a normal male ejaculate contains millions of them. So sperm leakage should not be the only concern causing your subfertility. You need to go through some tests for you and your partner to rule out other causes as well. D...  Read Full »

As the scan was clear, had Medroxyprogesterone to get period. Now, UPT is positive. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I went to my PCP for a pregnancy test and it was positive. Had an ultrasound a few days later and the technician said he did not see pregnancy in my uterus so he performed a transvaginal ultrasound to see if I was pregnant in my uterus but I was not. I took a pregna...  Read Full »

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to How are you doing? You are about 14 weeks gestation, based on your last menstrual period. At this size, the embryo is easily visible. The blood test will also have high hormonal levels. Pregnancy hormone detected by scan and urine is serum beta hCG. If the fetus is heal...  Read Full »

Does a transvaginal ultrasound show the remains of a miscarriage?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a D and C four months back after a miscarriage, and I got my last periods two months back. So, I went back to the doctor to make sure there is no continuing pregnancy. I had a vaginal ultrasound, which she said is all clear, and I am perfectly fine. She said I just have a little ...  Read Full »

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Specialist, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to How are you doing? A vaginal ultrasound shows if there is any pregnancy or remains of the miscarriage in the uterine cavity. This can also detect any significant clots in the uterine cavity. So, you can trust the scan reports. Usually, in pregnancy, no matter how many wee...  Read Full »

I had sex in the 5th week of pregnancy and saw vaginal bleeding. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am in the fifth week of pregnancy. I am worried because after intercourse, I saw some vaginal bleeding with feeble cramps on the left side of abdomen and in lower back. Please suggest what should I do? I am traveling tomorrow by flight. Do I need to take any extra precaution?  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Family Physician, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist, Infertility Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to At five weeks of pregnancy if you have had intercourse with your husband, which was not advisable, the bleeding is likely to be decidual separation at the uteroplacental junction and should well be ruled out by an urgent transvaginal ultrasound. It would be prudent to ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.