Q. I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head. Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Dr. Aamir Mohd
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.

#

Hello and welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for contacting us.

• You should put a warm bandage around your heel. In the picture you sent us, I was able to observe the swelling. You need to take some anti-inflammatory medications, which will help with the inflammation and pain.  
  • I would advise you to take:1) One 50 mg tablet of Diclofenac, twice daily for 5 days. Always take this medication with food. 2) One 15 mg tablet of Serratiopeptidase, twice daily for 5 days, with or without food.
  • Do not worry, your ligaments did not rupture, and it would be unlikely that you contused a bone.
  • When you stepped on the nail, was there any bleeding? If so, or if you sustained any kind of a puncture wound, did you get a Tetanus Toxoid injection?  If not, you should immediately see a doctor about getting a tetanus injection.
  • You may also need to get an antibiotic from your doctor, if the wound site became infected. I would advise you to have your family doctor take a look at your heel.

Wishing you excellent health.

If you have any further questions, consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|