Q. Why is there swelling and pain even after four days of tetanus injection?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

I had a dog scratch on my foot. So, I took tetanus injection on my upper arm after which I was feeling pain and swelling on my upper arm which remains to continue for four days. What is the cause of swelling and what should I do?

#

I understand your concern. TT (tetanus toxoid) injection can cause mild side effect, like swelling in the injection site, pain, redness. However, the side effect can last from four days to seven days. If the swelling still persists please get back to your doctor to have a look. Few things that can help decrease the pain could be taking NSAIDS like Paracetamol, rotate a warm pack off and on the injection site. Hope this helps. Take care.

|