Q. Why am I getting pain at the back of my calcaneus bone?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I feel some pain at the back of my calcaneus bone. The pain is especially after the first step in the morning when I wake up from bed. But, there is no redness or swelling. What is the reason for my pain?

#

• Your history of pain on the first step in the morning is consistent with a condition called as plantar fasciitis whereas pain in the back or posterior aspect of the heel is seen in retrocalcaneal bursitis.
  • Can you please specify the exact position of pain with the image of your foot with finger pointing at the site of pain?
  • Also, kindly specify for how long have you been suffering from this condition and the treatment received so far.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Yes, I have attached the photo that you requested.

#

You have not mentioned anything about the treatment.

• You have retrocalcaneal pain (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the most common cause of this can be improper shoes, strain of Achilles tendon over its insertion site or inflammation of the bursa in the region.
  • You should stop walking barefoot, limit the use of flat footwear and have shoes with half inch heel to remove the strain from the affected region.
  • I suggest a course of anti-inflammatory (Aceclofenac) medication for a week. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

|