Q. What can cause heel pain?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
Published on Apr 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 19, 2019

I am a 67 year old male. I am overweight, mildly diabetic and have high BP. I have pain on backside of my left heel. It increases in the evening. I think I have Achilles tendinitis. Please help.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

• You have mentioned pain in your heel region. Also you have stated that you are diabetic, hypertensive and overweight.
  • There are actually many causes of pain in the heel region, so it can be due to plantar fasciitis which is very common in your age group.
  • It can be due to bony spurs causing recurrent inflammation.
  • As you have stated it can also be due to Achilles tendonitis (Achilles tendinitis) which is an inflammatory condition at the site of attachment of Achilles tendon.
  • Also sugar levels have to kept under strict control because it can sometimes lead to cellulitis like situation in which patient experiences pain, swelling, local warmth, etc., and treatment is entirely different for it.
  • So, the treatment depends upon the cause of the pain.
  • Also kindly tell me whether there is any swelling or any other signs and symptoms of inflammation like skin discoloration or local warmth etc.
  • Initially if pain is of recent origin with no other signs and symptoms of inflammation as written earlier, you can initiate with:
  1. Ice packs for local application at tender site.
  2. Physical therapy especially ultrasonic for local application or laser therapy can be initiated.
  3. Take gentle pain killers like tablet Ultracet (Tramadol hydrochloride and Acetaminophen) twice a day for 3-5 days.
  4. Shoe modification and avoidance of those activities which increase your pain.
  • Do let me know how you are feeling in next 3-5 days and come revert back with your investigation reports and a clinical picture.

1. Recent blood tests like CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein) and serum uric acid.
2. X-ray ankle - lateral view.
3. A clinical picture showing exact site of pain and inflammation, so that the pathology can be estimated.

1. Achilles tendonitis (Achilles tendinitis).
2. Plantar Fasciitis.
3. Bony spurs.

Follow up with investigations to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Will chewing nicotine gums increase blood sugar levels in a diabetic?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a diabetic. Does chewing nicotine gum will increase sugar level? Does stress in the heart increase the sugar level?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. Nicotine chewing gum causes dental issues and sometimes hair loss and flushing. However, it does not increase blood sugar. So, you can take that it is 1000 times better to take nicotine chewing gum than cigarette especially once you have dia...  Read Full

What is Obesity? Why People Become Over-Weight?

Article Overview: Obesity is a ‘silent epidemic’. This article tells about how to find if you have obesity and the reasons for it. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Who is Considered as An Obese Person? An Obese person is one who has too much body fat and thus has a negative effect on their health. A person is considered obese when they have a weight over 20% of their ideal body weight. On the other hand, one may consider body mass index. Body mass index, ...  Read Article

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your high blood sugar levels and from the lab results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you have uncontrolled diabetes and dyslipidemia, that is, high cholesterol. According to your HbA1C, it is recommen...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now