Q. May I know till what age do girls grow?

Dr. Md. Kamrul Hasan Sajib
Published on Jan 25, 2019

I am a girl. My height is 5, but my parents are much taller. My mom's height is 5'6" and father's 5'8". Will I grow or is it my final height? When I went to a doctor in my city he said that I stopped growing. Is it true? I have already had a period for a year and a half?

Dr. Md. Kamrul Hasan Sajib

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I have read your concern very carefully. You are worried about your height. It is an important issue of everyone’s life. Usually, growth occurs up to 18 years. After that growth ceases. Growth depends on various factors like familial, nutritional, pathological. The highest rate of growth occurs between 9 years to 14 years of age when puberty occurs. Because in this time, gonadal hormone starts to release. According to international recognized institute CDC, normal height of girl at the end of 18 years is 60 to 68 inches. Your height is 60 inches. So you are in normal height and your age is in growing years. There are still chances of growing in height further up to 18 years. So, you should not be worried.

But if still, you are worried, you should do some test to check whether the normal level is normal and not. Estrogen, LH, and FSH, testosterone, growth hormone. You can also contact with an endocrinologist to take a decision about growth hormone therapy. I hope the above information will help you a lot.

Androgenic Alopecia (Pattern Baldness)

Article Overview: Are you losing hair from the top of the head? This type of hair loss is called androgenic alopecia. Read the article to know the available treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Male pattern hair loss is more common in many people and is called androgenic alopecia. Usually, it begins around the temples and on the top of the head. It is M-shaped at first to reach around the head and insides. The complete scalp can be involved at times. Generally, it is associated with sex ho...  Read Article

How much does lack of exercise during growing years stunt growth?

Query: Hello doctor, How much does lack of exercise during growing years stunt growth? How many inches does it usually subtract from your adult height?  Read Full »

Hair Loss - Common Causes and Hair Care Tips

Article Overview: Scalp hair has cosmetic value. Hair loss has become the most worrisome issue for both men and women. When a man or woman starts losing hair, it makes an impact on the psychological health, self-esteem, and confidence. Read Article

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Hair loss is a common condition faced by people of all age groups. There are various causes for hair loss. Hence understanding hair growth cycle is important to determine if the hair fall is normal or is due to an underlying cause. The Growth Cycle of Hair The human scalp has around one hundred th...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now