Published on May 17, 2018 and last reviewed on Aug 12, 2019 - 4 min read
Are you losing hair from the top of the head? This type of hair loss is called androgenic alopecia. Read the article to know the available treatment options.
Male pattern hair loss is more common in many people and is called androgenic alopecia. Usually, it begins around the temples and on the top of the head. It is M-shaped at first to reach around the head and insides. The complete scalp can be involved at times. Generally, it is associated with sex hormone imbalance, especially androgens, and is genetic. The main culprit is dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which when increased, can cause shortening of hair growth cycle and also delay in new hair growth. No new hair follicle will be formed but a clue for us is follicles are still alive which can be considered for treatment to grow back the dormant follicles.
1. Eat energy-rich foods such as orange, avocado, carrot, yogurt, sweet potato, pepper, fatty-fish like salmon having omega 3 fatty acids, spinach (vitamin A, iron, and folate), lean beans, green leafy vegetables, iron-fortified grains, eggs, lean meat like chicken and turkey, Biotin (vitamin B7) containing foods like onion, sweet potato, eggs, fortified cereals, chicken, oats, nuts and zinc-containing foods like oysters, lobsters and fortified cereals.
2. Drink a lot of water.
3. Drink green tea.
4. Do not drink a lot of caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea, and soda.
5. Eliminate stress.
6. Apply onion juice extract to the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes and wash it.
7. Saw palmetto is a plant of berry and can be applied topically.
8. Hibiscus and Bhringraj (Eclipta Alba/ false daisy) are also helpful if the extract is applied to the scalp or put in an oil and used.
9. Scalp massage is one of the best methods to improve circulation and cause hair follicle growth. Many oils are best applied to the scalp and are very effective. Essential oils like thyme, rosemary oil, cedarwood oil, and lavender are the best. You can even use peppermint oil, pumpkin seed oil, coconut oil, castor oil, almond oil, olive oil, amla (Indian gooseberry) oil and all are found to benefit hair growth.
10. Fenugreek seed (methi) paste can be directly applied for 40 minutes and left and washed. You can mix with water or milk.
11. Aloe vera gel also improves hair growth if applied.
12. Licorice root paste can be applied with water or saffron and milk and applied.
13. Coffee, honey, and olive oil can be mixed and applied.
14. Chinese hibiscus flower can be put to coconut or olive oil to charr it and collect oil and apply.
15. Beetroot, flax seeds, and coconut milk all are tried in this aspect.
16. Mustard oil and henna leaves is the best combination.
17. Beer, honey, and boiled wheat along with banana and egg yolk can be a great combination for hair pack tried with good results.
18. Stop smoking since it can cause reduced hair growth of a follicle.
I hope this detailed article about androgenic alopecia will give you both medical treatment options and home remedies which can be put into practice without any fear of side effects.
For more information consult a hair loss specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist/hair-loss
Query: Hello doctor, I am facing hair fall from the last 4 to 5 months. Also facing graying of hairs from last three years. Read Full >>
Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does this problem exist in your family? If yes it is androgenetic alopecia that is common in males and related to male hormones. Premature greying of hair is also genetic and as such there is no treatment for reversing of grey hair. However, you can take Biotin suppleme... Read Full
Query: Hello doctor,I am a 22 year old male, height 5 feet and 5 inches and weight 66 kg. I first started experiencing hair fall a year ago, and after taking homeopathy treatment, there was a good improvement in a couple of months. I did not have any hair fall for eight to nine months. But, from the last ... Read Full >>
Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The hair fall you are experiencing might be androgenetic alopecia, and this is a genetic condition. This happens if your father or other family members are bald. Usually, the genetic baldness starts from the age of 20 to 25 and gradually progresses. A fall of up to 1... Read Full
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. My problem is regular hair fall. How to control hair loss? Also, I want to regrow it. Please help. Read Full >>
Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Before I can help you, please answer the following questions so I can be sure it is male pattern baldness or androgenetic alopecia. The average number of hair that fall for you in a day. Are you taking any medication? Have you fallen sick in the past one year? Doe... Read Full
Do you have a question on Hair Loss or Male Pattern Baldness?Ask a Doctor Online