Q. Will doing exercise during growing years help in increasing height?

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha
Published on Jan 24, 2019

How much does lack of exercise during growing years stunt growth? How many inches does it usually subtract from your adult height?

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

#

As of right now, there are no studies to calculate inches lost by physical exercise. However, height is a function of genetics and your parental and ancestral genes play a major role in your physical appearance, but a small amount of environmental change does affect physical growth, and no exercise can stunt your height significantly but not measurably. Since is are no fixed number, different people have different height ranges. Some are born in tall families and some in short, hence a number for stunted height cannot be calculated based on exercise alone. Nonetheless, physical exercise plays an extremely important role to increase at least two inches of physical height on average.

My uncle had a heart attack. What are the chances of recovery based on his report?

Query: Hello doctor,My uncle had a heart attack four days back. The balloon was put, and he had three stents. The balloon is being removed tomorrow. The reports are three days old and were taken before two stents are inserted. I just want to know what are the chances of recovery based on the report and dam...  Read Full >>

Dr. Isaac Gana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand you are worried about your uncle's health. He will be fine hopefully. I had gone through the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). He had a 95% blockage, and his ejection fraction is 25%. There is a significant chance of recovery, altho...  Read Full

I am fearful of rejections. Please help me stay confident.

Query: Hello doctor, I am very less socially active, a nervous beginner in conversations, and fearful of rejections. I have never achieved what I am capable of even being highly talented. I am not sure about my aim in life. All I want is to have control over my nerves and be self-confident in life no matt...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may have cluster C personality. First, learn to talk with yourself. Talk with yourself by looking into the mirror. Make eye contact with your eye in a mirror then start a conversation with friends by making eye to eye contact. Start with just a smile for a few ...  Read Full

Will protein powder enhance children's height?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a son and a daughter. My height is 5.7 and wife is 5.1. I am extremely worried about my children height as we are short. My daughter is now 3 years 10 months old and have 14.5 kg weight and 38 inches tall. She had seizure thrice and taking some sodium liquid medicine for the past th...  Read Full >>

Dr. Payas Joshi
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I will try to sort it out for you. As you told me father's height 5.7 that is 170 cm and mother's height is 5.1 that is 155 cm. According to both of your heights, which is an average height of most of the people, the target range fo...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now