Q. Is it possible to have low erythropoietin count and high RBC count together?

Answered by Dr. Girish C Kamat and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Erythropoiesis or High Rbc Count? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 27 years old male, 6 feet, and 180 lbs. I started a new job and the life insurance company wanted me to take a blood test. The results are attached. My blood test shows a low erythropoietin of 4.4 U/L (normal range 4.3 to 29) and high red blood cell count of 5.6x10^12/L (normal range 3.7-6). The insurance company now wants me to see a hematologist for polycythemia. What are the odds that my result is actually related to that? I was also just diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea.