Q. I have a small strand of skin near the anus. What is that?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

There is about a quarter inch long strand of skin going away from the anus and I think it is a hemorrhoid. Also, that is dark purple in color. I am in need of your help.

#

I want to assure you that do not worry as everything is going to be fine soon. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine concerns.

I have seen the attached picture and it looks as hemorrhoid (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I am unsure about the position of the lesion that is, whether 6, 9 or 11 o'clock. It usually is due to portal hypertension.

Proctoscopy or colonoscopy by a general surgeon.

Hemorrhoids.

Avoid constipation. I suggest Lactulose syrup if you have constipation. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Take plenty of water and high fiber diet. Ask your primary care physician to refer you to a general surgeon for proper evaluation and treatment plan. Do not let it go untreated as it may complicate and will have serious consequences.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|